A staple in all kids room are the lamps. And while that cute pastel lamp with the teddy bear on it worked when your kiddo was a baby, it’s now time to upgrade to something cooler.
I love the idea of taking old ratty action figures & making them into a fabulously cool lamp. I’m sure you can find tons of these at thrift shops, garage sales or in the bottom of the kids toy box. A couple dozen well placed heroes will make this lamp rock!
- Lamp with a small or medium-sized base
- Hot glue gun
- Plastic toys (40-50 is best)
- Spray paint (optional)
Handmade Superhero Lampshade
- Make the template: Tape one edge of the paper to the seam on the lampshade. (you might need to piece several sheets of paper together). Wrap the paper around the lampshade and secure with tape. Using a pencil trace along the top and bottom edge of the shade. Cut along the pencil lines.
- Pin the template to your ironed fabric (trust me you want this ironed!). Cut around the template leaving a 1” border around all sides. Iron one side seam edge back 1”.
- Apply Fabric Mod Podge to the lampshade. Line up the non-ironed edge of the fabric with the seam on the lampshade. You should have a 1” over hang on the top and bottom. Wrap the fabric around the shade. Apply more Mod Podge to the edge that is ironed-over and press against the lampshade to secure.
- Using Mod Podge, glue the 1” overhang to the top and bottom inside of the shade.
- Attach a band of rim around the lampshade with hot glue.
DIY Super Hero Lamp Shades
Turn a boring lamp into custom super hero awesomeness with just a plain lamp & a pre-made applique! This is a project for people with just about no DIY skills.
You will need
- A boring lamp
- A glue gun
- An applique of your favorite Super hero like Superman, Batman or Spiderman. They also make cool patches like Wham or Pow!
You can add just like shown or you can add several & make it an action packed shade. Just be mindful of the sizes because some of the patches are tiny & some are huge. You can find just about any Action Hero Applique Here.
Basically you will be using the glue gun to glue the appliques onto the shade.
You can paint the lamp base in a solid primary color with a can of spray paint if it doesn’t match your theme. Also replacement lampshades are pretty affordable at Target or Bed Bath & Beyond. If you are unsure of which size shade go ahead and buy the appliques you want, take them to the store and work out what you need right in the isle.
With this fun project you will need to break out some tools but you won’t spend much cash. While this guy uses the batman logo you can use any action hero you like with the same result.
This lamp is super simple to make it’s basically a work light with a mask on the front.
- You’ll need a shop light or use what I am a Stick Up Light that uses batteries…far safer & no cord. They come in a three pack so I may just add 3 action heros!
- Fluorescent bulb…the standard bulbs will get too hot. (not needed for stick up lights)
- Mask of you favorite hero, Personally I’m going with Iron Man, Spider-man, and The Hulk on this project. Having that light up eyes really suits these guys.
The result will be something like this. Be mindful of the half face masks, they won’t work well on this project.